Follow Us On Twitter! @CalvertGuidance
In order to ensure that your child's counselor will be available to meet with you, please call ahead to make an appointment 443-550-8893.
Remember, please allow 10 school days for your transcript request to be processed by your counselor.
Guidance Counselor Responsibilities
The school counselor is a school-based professional specifically trained to work with students, parents, teachers, administrators, and the surrounding community. Each school counselor is state-certified and holds a Master’s Degree in counseling.
Your counselor's concerns and responsibilities are directed toward students' interests and educational needs. Services offered focus on three different domains: academic, career, and personal/social. A counselor's typical day includes counseling students, individually or in groups, conducting classroom guidance activities, talking with teachers, and working with members of the community. Both students and their parents are encouraged to become acquainted with their counselor and utilize available services.
The school counselor:
- Counsels students based on their individual needs and concerns
- Helps students assess their strengths and weaknesses
- Provides individual counseling to students focusing on personal, career, and academic areas
- Provides students with information about the SAT and ACT
- Assists students with post-graduation planning, including college, employment, military, and other paths
- Coordinates college, military, trade/technical visitation programs and provides student recommendations
- Links students with community agencies and resources to provide supplemental support
- Works with students to ensure appropriate course selection and course scheduling with regard to graduation requirements
- Facilitates contact between parents and teachers for the purpose of monitoring student progress.